We thought it would be useful to share some updates with you from the SFE music team:
Weekly Rehearsals and Performances
At the moment all weekly rehearsals and performances are cancelled up until the end of this term. We have recently received confirmation from Symphony Hall that they will not be open for performances in July so sadly there will be no Youth Proms this year.
We appreciate how disappointing this is and I can assure you our amazing team of staff are equally devastated at the abrupt curtailment of our musical activity this year.
I know you appreciate that this is out of our control, and that we are all in this together, with our priority being the safety off all our musicians, families and staff.
Keeping Music Going
Rest assured, we are committed to keeping music going and have been busy behind the scenes trying to find ways to make this happen:
- Our SFE teachers are busy delivering online lessons to many young musicians we would normally see in schools.
- SFE Music School North and South has moved to online delivery. New spaces are available if someone in your family finds themselves without music tuition at this time (visit sfemusic.co.uk)
- Our SFE teachers are YouTube sensations!
- 100 of our students, ensemble members, staff and parents performed Somewhere Over The Rainbow in support of our NHS Heroes
- Birmingham Schools’ Training Wind Orchestra sent a positive message when they virtually performed ‘Don’t Stop Believing’
- We’ve also produced an online learning platform with over 400 brand new videos starring our fabulous teachers. If your young musician normally has lessons through SFE at school you will have received a login from your school music lead-do check it out!
- And finally we have compiled a list of great resources (music and more) which can be found on our Parent Page.
Ensembles Portal Going Live
Over the next few weeks, you will receive details about how to register for our brand new SFE Ensembles Portal. This will be our go-to place for everything ensembles related, and all parents/carers of Central Ensemble members will be required to register.
This will also signal the launch of sign up for our Central Ensemble Auditions. When we know exactly what audition activity might be possible later this term, we will contact everyone registered with full details.
Staying in Touch
You can stay in touch with us through our social media accounts:
We are aiming to find new ways to keep our ensembles busy, practising and engaged in what we do so please keep an eye out for updates and exciting projects your young musicians can get involved with.
Finally, I know I speak for the whole SFE ensembles team when I say we are looking forward to a time when we can all come together and begin to make music.
Until then, stay safe, stay healthy and keep practising.