For more information about joining one of our Central Ensembles please contact email@example.com
It is free to take part in our Central Ensembles, but you/ your child will be required to audition.
Our ensemble members are nurtured and supported by skilled professional tutors and conductors, developing their confidence and musical abilities.
Members will also take part in memorable performances on the stages of Birmingham’s most prestigious venues, celebrating their musical achievements to packed audiences. These groups also regularly represent Services For Education on the Regional and National Stage.
All our ensembles serve as an extension to weekly instrumental/vocal lessons and school music making. By joining one of our groups your young musicians will be representing your school at city level.
Our Central Ensembles offer progression for intermediate to advanced young musicians.
Auditions for Services For Education (Birmingham Schools’) Central Ensembles are open to young musicians in full time education who attend a Birmingham School or live within the city of Birmingham.
Central ensembles are designed for intermediate (approximately Grade 3 standard upwards) through to advanced performers. Ensembles rehearse weekly during term time with members benefiting from over 100 hours of specialist ensemble tuition.
As a general rule, we expect ensemble members to be with each group for two academic years to be in a position to access the next level ensemble both in terms of instrumental capability and ensemble craft, although there are sometimes exceptional cases where membership of a group may be more or less than this. In all cases we expect our ensemble members to audition every two years.
If you are offered and accept a place in one of our SFE Ensembles musicians are expected to maintain regular instrumental or vocal tuition to enable continued personal improvement.
Central Ensembles Update Aug 2021
We currently run 21 auditioned Central Ensembles:
Woodwind, Brass and Percussion
- Birmingham Schools’ Jazz Ensemble
- Birmingham Schools’ Training Wind Orchestra
- Birmingham Schools’ Concert Band
- Birmingham Schools’ Wind Orchestra
- Birmingham Schools’ Junior String Orchestra
- Birmingham Schools’ String Sinfonia
Full Orchestra -Strings, Woodwind, Brass and Percussion
- Birmingham Schools’ Concert Orchestra
- Birmingham Schools’ Symphony Orchestra
- Birmingham Schools’ Training Guitar Ensemble
- Birmingham Schools’ Guitar Sinfonia
- Birmingham Schools’ Guitar Ensemble
- Birmingham Schools’ Training Percussion Ensemble
- Birmingham Schools’ Percussion Ensemble
Percussion and World Music
- Birmingham Schools’ Raga and Tala
- Birmingham Schools’ Azaad Dhol Group
- Birmingham Schools’ Steel Band
- Birmingham Schools’ Recorder Ensemble
- Birmingham Schools’ Recorder Sinfonia
- Birmingham Schools’ Brass Attack
- Birmingham Schools’ Brass Band
- Birmingham Schools’ Singers
For more details, or to request an audition, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Did you know that Services For Education is a charity?
Every year, we bring together 2,000 young people from across Birmingham and form over 70 ensembles, specialising in a variety of instruments.
We do not charge for our ensembles because imposing a charge would create an immediate barrier for many families who would struggle to afford these costs but this is only sustainable with support from our donors.
We need your help to keep our ensembles going.
Become a Friend of Services For Education for as little as £3 per month to support our ensembles. Or, if you’d prefer make a one-off donation.
Find out more on our Charity Website.