Science can be a more difficult subject to lead than others, especially within a secondary school with a complex curriculum offer, shortages of qualified subject specialists, health and safety responsibilities, practical work with large numbers of people and non-teaching staff to line manage.
By the end of this one-day intensive course you will be able to:
• Employ a range of strategies to develop and improve teaching and learning within the department
• Use a range of techniques to enable you to lead, support and nurture teachers so you become a high-
• Utilise the annual cycle of a Head of Science to strategically lead and manage your department
• Reflect on strategies for dealing with challenges and articulate a range of approaches that can be
employed to overcome these
• Understand key processes such as inspections, appraisals and observations, using these to evaluate the
skills you have and identify areas to develop.
For more information contact us here.
About the AdviserMarsha Blissett - Adviser, Services For Education
Marsha firmly believes that a quality education is the basis for social mobility and has spent her extensive career working across the West Midlands conurbation catapulting the stunted ambitions of staff and students. Marsha has held several senior positions, most recently as a Deputy Headteacher transforming outcomes in one of the most deprived parts of the county.
Marsha is a specialist in The Principles of School Leadership, Safeguarding, STEM Education and Behaviour Management this is complimented by her interest in cognitive science, not only the application to schema but also its application to the wider, often hidden curriculum.