online course: The Emotionally Safe Classroom
Online Course Created By Award-Winning School Support Provider, Services For Education (duration 4-5 hours)
Create a Safe, Productive Learning Environment for You and Your Pupils
complete the course (£120)
- Examine your role in the classroom and how it can have a significant impact on your pupils; you are the decisive element
- Investigate “The Big Ask.” What do we really ask of children every day? Is it realistic? And why might they not be able to do it? How will this affect your teaching style?
- Reflect on and better understand your experiences in the classroom and how you could improve communication and dealing with difficult situations moving forward
How does the course work?
The Emotionally Safe Classroom is a video-led online course split out into 5 different modules that last roughly 50 minutes each.
There will be periods set aside for reflection during each section and you will be provided with a Reflective Journal to support your learning throughout.
Liz Bates, our Emotional Health expert with 25 years’ experience, will talk you through a slideshow packed full of insights, tried and tested strategies and exercises for you to complete.
Module 1: Exploring the role of the adult in creating the classroom climate.
- Being the Decisive Element
- Emotional Intelligence
- Expectations and Explanations (Dr Ross Greene)
Module 2. What we ask of children and why might they not be able to do it!
- The ‘Big Ask’
- Attachment and other factors
Module 3. School as a secure base.
- Do I feel safe?
- Using the UEA model – Availability, Sensitivity, Acceptance, Co-operation, Belonging for adults as well as children
Module 4. Beyond behaviour.
- Feelings Thoughts and Behaviour
- When demands outstrip capacity to cope
- Survival in the classroom
Module 5. Using resources and next steps.
Each module includes taught content and activities for delegates to complete before moving on. Delegates are supplied with a downloadable course workbook to support the learning and provide opportunities for personal reflection.
buy now (£120)
Why is this important?
Studies have shown that learning, socialisation skills, higher level thinking, problem solving, organising and planning are more likely to occur in the brain of the emotionally secure child who feels safe in their classroom.
Crucially, this course will support you to:
- Create an environment in which your pupils can feel safer and more secure and therefore have more opportunity to flourish under your care
- Identify and support the children in your class who may be surviving, rather than thriving for a variety of different reasons. We will discuss and examine specific examples that you might face day-to-day
- Create an environment where all children, whether thriving or surviving can feel secure and safe, no matter what external issues they may be facing
This course is about helping your children to feel safe, but you will gain valuable transferable skills and a fantastic personal development opportunity.
book now (£120)