How does the course work?
The Emotionally Safe Classroom is a video-led online course split out into 5 different modules that last roughly 50 minutes each.
There will be periods set aside for reflection during each section and you will be provided with a Reflective Journal to support your learning throughout.
Liz Bates, our Emotional Health expert with 25 years’ experience, will talk you through a slideshow packed full of insights, tried and tested strategies and exercises for you to complete.
What will be covered?
Module 1: Exploring the role of the adult in creating the classroom climate.
- Being the Decisive Element
- Emotional Intelligence
- Expectations and Explanations (Dr Ross Greene)
Module 2. What we ask of children and why might they not be able to do it!
- The ‘Big Ask’
- Attachment and other factors
Module 3. School as a secure base.
- Do I feel safe?
- Using the UEA model – Availability, Sensitivity, Acceptance, Co-operation, Belonging for adults as well as children
Module 4. Beyond behaviour.
- Feelings Thoughts and Behaviour
- When demands outstrip capacity to cope
- Survival in the classroom
Module 5. Using resources and next steps.
Each module includes taught content and activities for delegates to complete before moving on. Delegates are supplied with a downloadable course workbook to support the learning and provide opportunities for personal reflection.